Topic Insights is a visual dashboard that helps you understand what topics are trending on your site, across the Taboola network in your country/language, and what your Repeat Visitors are reading about.
The Topic Insights dashboards are created based on a combination of Natural Language Processing and our own machine learning algorithms which determine what topics are included in a story.
The default view that appears on the Insights Dashboard is the Topic Graph. This is a highly visual representation of what is trending in your country in real time. It will update every 30 minutes, showing the topics for the most recent 30-minute bucket of time available. The graph makes it easy to not only see what topics are currently trending, but topic correlations that can help you and your team find multiple angles for articles. Each bubble represents a single topic.
You can use this icon to switch to a “List View’ which displays the same information in a simple list. You can click on any topic to see that topic’s traffic over time on the Taboola Network and on your site (see below for more info on this).
All Topics vs. My Topics vs. My Coverage
At the top of the page, you can filter by All Topics, My Topics or My Coverage. Here is what these options mean:
- All Topics – This displays the popular topics across the whole Taboola network in your country and language. If you have questions about the Taboola Network, please reach out to your Newsroom Engagement Manager or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- My Topics – This displays the popular topics across on your site only
- My Coverage – This displays topics for all for the whole Taboola network, while indicating your market share of that specific topic. This view helps you decide if you want to cover specific topics you are missing out on.
- Dark blue circles: You have no traffic for that topic.
- Light blue circles: You have some traffic for that topic, with the amount of your traffic represented by a green inner circle.
Coverage is the percentage of pageviews for a topic that we see on your site, compared to the pageviews we see on the Taboola network.
Filtering the Topic Insights dashboards
If you click the “Filters” panel on the left, you can filter the dashboards in a number of ways:
- In Top Categories, you can choose to only show topics in specific categories
- The Topic Threshold determines how many topics are shown
- The Similarity Threshold determines when we show a correlation line between topics – moving the slider higher means we’ll show fewer lines
- The 8-hour playback allows you to look back at previous 30-minute updates, or play them on a rotating basis.
By default, we’ll show you information for all traffic in your country and language. Your site likely will also have access to different dashboards that filter the topics we show by Search and Social Traffic. You may also have access to traffic filtered to a specific locale, such as a State in the US. You can access these with a drop-down in the upper-right corner.
The ‘Repeat Users’ dashboard is particularly useful – this will show you the topics that your repeat visitors (people who have been to your site twice in the last two weeks) are reading around the Taboola network and on your site.
Changing Time Frames shown
In addition to the Real Time reports, you also have access to see the same data and reports for different time frames using the drop-down in the upper-right corner. You can see the same reports for Yesterday, the previous 7 days, and previous 30 days.
The “30 day Planning” dashboard will allow you to explore what topics have trended over the last 30 days with a different interface. It can be used to see what was popular in a particular category, and see your site’s performance compared to the network for specific topics.
Important Note on Privacy
Due to our stringent data protection and confidentiality policy, we never identify specific sites or articles a unique user has visited. We show you the topics that your users have read about on your site, and what they have read about on the rest of the Taboola network in aggregate. You will never see data identifying any specific competitor or group of competitors, and similarly we never show your specific traffic data to any other sites.